National Bank À la carte Rewards Plan Applicable Rules
With the À la carte Rewards Plan (the "À la carte Plan"), you earn points for every eligible purchase dollar. These points may be exchanged for rewards such as merchandise, a travel package, a gift card, a travel discount, a donation, a financial product or any other incentive offered by the À la carte Plan.
When you first use your credit card, you accept the rules applicable to the À la carte Plan.
1. HOW TO EARN POINTS
Who may earn points
1.1 All cardholders of a credit card which offers the À la carte Plan may earn points on the Mastercard® credit card account. Even cardholders of additional cards may earn points on the credit card account.
1.2 For individuals: points are associated with the account of the primary cardholder of the credit card.
1.3 For businesses: points are for the benefit of the business.
How to earn points
1.4 You may earn points for every eligible purchase dollar charged to a credit card account which offers the À la carte Plan when your account is in good standing. The points accumulated will be posted to your account once a month provided your account is in good standing on the statement date.
Your account is in good standing when you comply with the obligations of your cardholder agreement (eg. making your minimum payment by the due date).
To know the number of points you may earn for each purchase dollar charged to the card you hold, visit our website at nbc.ca/creditcard.
1.5 You will not earn points on the following:
- Cash advances;
- Balance transfers;
- Mastercard cheques;
- Interest charges;
- Non-interest charges (e.g. annual fees, balance transfer fees, foreign currency conversion fees, insurance premiums and fees for Mastercard cheques);
- Return of purchases.
1.6 Earning points does not give you any vested or acquired right. You cannot assume of the continued availability of a given reward, the number of points necessary to obtain it or the period of time during which your points will remain valid or may be exchanged.
1.7 If the balance of your points is negative, for example, following the return of a purchase, any new points accumulated will first be used to settle the negative balance.
Information about the À la carte Plan
1.8 We will communicate information related to the À la carte Plan either in your credit card account statement, by e-mail, on nbcrewards.ca, on nbc.ca/creditcard, by mail or by any other appropriate technological means. Visit our website to learn about promotional offers that let you earn extra points.
1.9 The redemption table, catalogues, seasonal newsletters, promotional offers and other communications presenting the rewards and the terms and conditions related to the accumulation and exchange of points do not form part of the rules applicable to the À la carte Plan and are subject to change.
1.10 You are responsible for acquainting yourself with any information related to the À la carte Plan which is sent to you.
How to follow points earned
1.11 For individuals:
- The primary cardholder of the credit card and the authorized users may check the number of points earned by logging into their profile at nbcrewards.ca, by accessing Internet Banking Solutions or by contacting Mastercard Customer Service.
- The primary cardholder can also check the number of points earned on the credit card account statement.
1.12. For businesses: the designated authorized signatory of the credit card may check the number of points earned on the credit card account statement or by logging into his profile at nbcrewards.ca.
2. HOW TO EXCHANGE YOUR POINTS : GENERAL RULES
Who may exchange points
2.1 For rewards other than À la carte Extras:
- For individuals: the primary cardholder and the authorized users of an eligible credit card may exchange points.
- For businesses: only the designated authorized signatory of an eligible credit card may exchange points.
2.2 For À la carte Extras:
- Only the primary cardholder of an eligible credit card may exchange points.
- The following credit cards do not offer À la carte Extras:
- MD Management Platinum and World Elite
- Promutuel Gold, Assante Gold
- Platinum Business
- Investors Group: Solutions Banking Platinum, World or World Elite Mastercard
- Platinum Sun life Financial and Platinum for Professionals Financial
À la carte Extras are not offered to businesses.
2.3 Your credit card account must be in good standing to obtain a reward. This means that you must comply with all the obligations of your credit card agreement (e.g. you must make your minimum payment and pay your annual fees).
2.4 You must have an address in Canada to exchange points.
How to exchange your points based on the type of reward
2.5 Rewards catalogue:
- By visiting the À la carte Plan website: nbcrewards.ca, available 24/7.
- By contacting the À la carte Rewards Centre: 1-800-341-8083 (toll-free) or 514-847-8280 (Montreal area). Our agents are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday (EST). See section 3 for details.
How to redeem points with the À la carte Travel Agency™:
- On the À la carte Travel website. Go to nbcrewards.ca, click on the "Travel" tab then "À la carte Travel Agency." You must log into your profile to access this page. Contact our travel experts directly at 1-800-561-3653. For details, go to section 4.
Exclusive features reserved for Platinum, Platinum Business, World Mastercard and World Elite cardholders:
- By visiting the À la carte Plan website: nbcrewards.ca, available 24/7.
- By contacting the À la carte Rewards Centre: 1-800-341-8083 (toll-free) or 514-847-8280 (Montreal area). Our agents are available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday to Friday (EST). See sections 5 and 6 for details.
À la carte Extras:
- By contacting the bank at the telephone numbers listed in section 19. See section 7 for details.
Specific conditions regarding the exchange of points
2.6 A request to exchange points is final and cannot be cancelled.
2.7 The entire amount of the travel discount or other type of discount is not used: no credit or cash refund will be applied.
2.8 The number of points required for a reward is reduced within 15 days of the exchange of your points: you may request that the difference in points be credited to the credit card account from which the points were initially deducted.
2.9 Points have no cash value and cannot be claimed for cash. However, for some eligible financial products and under section 6.1, we attribute a monetary value to your points.
2.10 You exchange your points for a reward which results in a credit to your account (e.g. a travel discount): the number of points corresponding to the credit will be removed from the total number of points accumulated. The credit and your new points balance will appear on your 1st or 2nd credit card account statement, depending on your billing cycle.
2.11 The minimum payment appearing on your credit card account statement must be made at all times. This amount remains due and payable even when you benefit from a credit resulting from the exchange of your points (e.g. travel discount, À la carte Extra).
Number of points required for a reward
2.12 The required number of points is established at the time of the exchange. You must check the redemption table at that time to make sure you have enough points to get the reward you want.
2.13 The redemption table is available online at nbcrewards.ca.
How to calculate points
2.14 Points are rounded off to the nearest whole number upon billing. For example:
- 10.25 or 10.49 points earned = 10 points
- 10.50 or 10.75 points earned = 11 points
3. REWARDS CATALOGUE : SPECIFIC RULES
Delivery of rewards
3.1 When you exchange your points for a reward, you must confirm the delivery address. No delivery will be made at a post office box (P.O. Box) or at an address outside of Canada.
3.2 Please allow approximately 4 to 6 weeks for delivery.
3.3 Shipping costs and taxes are included in the number of points required for the reward.
Return of defective merchandise or merchandise damaged during delivery
3.4 Only defective products or goods damaged during delivery can be returned. We will cover the shipping cost for the return of the item. You must return such merchandise within a maximum of 15 days of delivery. Before returning an item, you must contact the Rewards Centre to obtain specific instructions; for example, you must return the item in its original packaging. See Section 19 for contact information.
If we conclude that the item is defective or damaged, you may choose to receive a replacement item or have your points returned.
3.5 After 15 days of delivery:
- The Rewards Centre will not accept returns.
- You will receive a sales slip (warranty leaflet) and be advised to take the item to a local supplier authorized to repair it in accordance with the manufacturer's warranty.
Rewards not available
3.6 Rewards are available in limited quantities.
3.7 The item you order is no longer available: a similar item of equal or greater value may be sent to you.
3.8 You are not satisfied with the replacement item: you must contact the À la carte Rewards Centre within 15 days of receipt in order to return the item without charge and have your points reimbursed.
3.9 An item of equal or better quality is not available: we will advise you of the cancellation of your order and invite you to place a new one.
3.10 The item is temporarily unavailable: we will inform you of the estimated delivery date.
4. REDEEMING POINTS WITH THE À LA CARTE TRAVEL AGENCY: SPECIFIC RULES
How to make a reservation
4.1 The À la carte Travel Agency gives you access to the travel services generally offered by a travel agency (e.g. all-inclusive vacations, tours, airline tickets, hotel bookings, cruises, vehicle rentals and insurance).
4.2 To make a reservation with the À la carte Travel Agency, go to nbcrewards.ca, click on the "Travel" tab and then "À la carte Travel Agency". You must log into your profile to access the website.
You can also contact our travel experts at 1-800-561-3653 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. on weekdays and between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturdays (EST).
Note that clients with a Platinum, Platinum Business, World or World Elite Mastercard have access to additional reservation options. See section 5 for details.
4.3 To redeem your points, you must first charge the entire cost of the trip to your eligible credit card. The travel credit will be applied about 72 hours after the redemption.
4.4 The À la carte Travel Agency is managed by Transat Distribution Canada Inc. (Quebec permit No. 753141).
4.5 Note that reservation made over the phone are subject to the following fees:
- Airplane ticket reservations: $35 per person plus applicable taxes.
- Any other reservation: $25 per person plus applicable taxes.
4.6 You may use your points, your credit card or a combination of both to pay the À la carte Travel Agency's invoice.
Delivery of travel documents
4.7 An invoice will be sent to you after your reservation is made.
4.8 Your travel documents will be sent to you at least 7 days prior to your departure date.
4.9 Your reservation is confirmed less than 7 days prior to your departure date: your travel documents may be available for pickup only at the airport on the departure date. Your travel agent will keep you informed.
4.10 In some cases, the À la carte Travel Agency may send the travel documents electronically only (by e-mail or fax). Your travel agent will keep you informed.
4.11 You must review the accuracy of the information on the invoice and on the travel documents, including reservation details and passenger information. You must immediately inform the À la carte Travel Agency in case of error.
4.12 No travel documents will be sent outside of Canada.
5. EXCLUSIVE TRAVEL FEATURES RESERVED FOR PLATINUM, PLATINUM BUSINESS, WORLD MASTERCARD AND WORLD ELITE CARDHOLDERS
5.1 You have the possibility of making travel reservations with:
- The travel agency of your choice, including an online travel agency;
- The airline of your choice; or
- The À la carte Travel Agency of the À la carte Plan described in section 4.
5.2 The following purchases are eligible for a travel discount: plane tickets, vacation packages, car rentals, hotel stays, reservations of a condominium or country house for tourism purposes, cruises, excursions and camping.
5.3 The following purchases are NOT eligible for a travel discount: personal expenses made during trips (e.g. restaurants, purchase of souvenirs and clothing).
5.4 Travel costs must be paid with your Platinum, Platinum Business, World Mastercard or World Elite credit card before requesting the exchange of your points for a travel discount. Points must be exchanged for a travel discount within 60 days of your purchase.
5.5 To request an exchange, please refer to section 2.5.
5.6 The travel discount will be applied about 72 hours following your request.
6. EXCLUSIVE FEATURES FOR PLATINUM BUSINESS CARDHOLDERS
6.1 You may exchange your points for a credit on the balance of your Platinum Business credit card account. The value of the points exchanged may not be greater than the total balance of the Platinum Business credit card account. This means that the exchange of your points cannot result in a credit balance on your credit card account.
6.2 As an authorized signatory of a Platinum Business credit card, you can transfer your points to your personal credit card account provided it also offers the À la carte Plan. However, consent of all other authorized signatories is required.
6.3 To request an exchange, please refer to section 2.5.
6.4 The credit will be applied about 72 hours following your request.
7. À LA CARTE EXTRAS
A. General rules
7.1 Only primary cardholders of eligible credit cards may benefit from À la carte Extras.
7.2 The following credit cards with the À la carte Plan do not offer À la carte Extras:
- MD Management Platinum and World Elite
- Promutuel Gold, Assante Gold
- Platinum Business
- Investors Group: Solutions Banking Platinum, World Mastercard or World Elite
- Platinum Sun life Financial and Platinum for Professionals Financial
7.3 À la carte Extras are not offered to businesses.
7.4 A request for an À la carte Extra will have priority over any other exchange requested by an authorized user.
7.5 Points may be exchanged by phone only. It takes approximately 72 hours following your request to process the exchange. See section 19 for contact information.
7.6 Your credit card account must be in good standing: you must comply with all the obligations of your credit card agreement to obtain an À la carte Extra. For example, you must make your minimum payments and pay your annual fees.
7.7 You must have a financial product, either personally or jointly, with National Bank or one of its subsidiaries (e.g. a bank account, RRSP account, spousal RRSP account, TFSA, All-in-One®1 line of credit or mortgage loan). If not, you must obtain one before requesting an À la carte Extra.
7.8 You must analyze your financial situation to identify, among other things, the possible tax consequences, your eligibility for the investment product and the restrictions on the prepayment of the principal of a mortgage loan under your credit agreement.
C. Investment products
7.9 The exchange of points can be used to purchase an eligible investment product offered by:
- National Bank: RRSP contribution or TFSA contribution;
- National Bank Direct Brokerage: RRSP contribution (personal or joint) or TFSA contribution;
- National Bank Financial: RRSP contribution (personal or joint) or TFSA contribution.
7.10 Points may not be exchanged for commissions or other fees related to investment products.
D. Payment of annual fees of National Bank banking packages
7.11 You have a bank account with us (whether personal or joint): you may exchange points to pay the annual fees of your banking package.
7.12 You will not have to pay the fixed monthly fees of your banking package for the next 12 months starting on the 1st or 2nd billing period after you have exchanged your points, depending on your credit card billing cycle.
7.13 You close your bank account before the 12-month period is over: you will have 30 days following the closure of the bank account to request a reimbursement of any unused points. The reimbursement of the unused points will be made on your credit card account and will be calculated on a monthly basis. After this 30-day delay, you will not be able to request the reimbursement of your points.
7.14 You wish to change your banking package: points used for a banking package cannot be transferred to pay the fees of another banking package.
E. Payment towards the principal on a mortgage loan or the principal balance of an All-in-One line of credit held with National Bank
7.15 The payment may not exceed the balance owed to the bank (principal plus interest) at the time the points are exchanged.
7.16 You must make the regular periodic payments required under your credit agreement even if you benefit from a credit resulting from the exchange of your points.
8. TRANSFER OF POINTS TO ANOTHER PERSON (E.G. DIVORCE, DEATH, BANKRUPTCY)
8.1 Points cannot be given, exchanged or transferred in any other manner to another person, including in case of divorce, separation or loss of employment.
Specific rules apply:
- In the event of death or bankruptcy of the primary cardholder (see section 8.2);
- In the event of a company bankruptcy or closure (see section 8.3);
- For Platinum Business cardholders (see section 6.2).
8.2 For individuals:
In the event of the primary cardholder's death:
- If the authorized user is the spouse, common-law or civil union partner: the authorized user can request a National Bank credit card with the À la carte Plan and, should he qualify, ask for the transfer of points to his own account no later than 12 months after the primary cardholder's account is closed. The transfer will be allowed only if the primary cardholder's account was in good standing at the time of its closure. This means that all the obligations of the credit card agreement have been respected (e.g. regular monthly payments, paid annual fees).
- In any other situation: the primary cardholder's account will be closed and the succession may request the exchange of points for articles in the Reward catalogue within 12 months of the closure. The exchange will be allowed only if the primary cardholder's account was in good standing at the time of its closure. This means that all the obligations of the credit card agreement have been respected (e.g. regular monthly payments, paid annual fees).
In the event of bankruptcy of the primary cardholder: we will close the credit card account and the accumulated points will be automatically cancelled. No transfer will be allowed.
8.3 For businesses:
In the event the business goes bankrupt or closes, we will close the credit card account and the accumulated points will be automatically cancelled. No transfer will be allowed.
9. CANCELLATION OF POINTS OR SUSPENSION OF THE RIGHT TO EXCHANGE POINTS
9.1 Your right to exchange points is automatically suspended in the following cases:
- You have not fully paid the annual fees for your credit card.
- You have failed to make the minimum monthly payment.
- You have not fulfilled any other obligation under the credit card agreement.
9.2 You have 30 days following receipt of a notice to this effect to correct the situation. Otherwise, we may cancel your points or close your credit card account in which case you will not be able to exchange your points.
10. REPLACEMENT OF YOUR CREDIT CARD OFFERING THE À LA CARTE PLAN
10.1 By another card that offers the À la carte Plan: your points will automatically be transferred to your new credit card account.
10.2 By an Allure™¹ or Edition™¹ card with cashback: your points will automatically be converted to a cashback when your new credit card account is opened.
10.3 By any other National Bank credit card: you will have 30 days to exchange your points. After 30 days, your points will be cancelled.
11. COMBINING YOUR POINTS
You are the primary cardholder of 2 credit card accounts offering the À la carte Plan: you may combine the points you have accumulated on these 2 accounts provided both accounts are in good standing, meaning that you have respected all the obligations of the cardholder agreement. To do so, you must contact Mastercard Customer Service and indicate the credit card account to which the points must be transferred.
12. THEFT OR LOSS OF YOUR CREDIT CARD
Accumulated points will be automatically transferred to your new credit card with the À la carte Plan.
13. CLOSURE OF YOUR CREDIT CARD ACCOUNT
13.1 You close your credit card account; and you have 30 days following the closure of your account to exchange your points. After 30 days, your points will be cancelled.
13.2 We close your credit card account: your points will automatically be cancelled without the possibility of exchanging them.
13.3 The balance of your points is negative when the account is closed: we reserve the right to cancel any exchange having caused the negative balance.
13.4 Your account is inactive: your account will be closed and the points earned will be cancelled 30 days after you receive a notice to this effect if:
- No purchase or cash advance has been made on your credit card account for 6 consecutive months preceding the renewal of your credit card account; and
- Your account balance is $0 at the time of the renewal.
14. IN CASE OF ERROR
14.1 You find an error on your statement of account which could change the balance of your points: you must contact Mastercard Customer Service by mail or by phone within 30 days of the statement date. After 30 days, you will not be able to contest the number of points indicated on your statement.
14.2 We make an error when points are exchanged: we reserve the right to correct it and to adjust the points accordingly.
14.3 Display errors: subject to applicable law, if important information displayed on one of our websites or in our communications is incorrect, we reserve the right to correct this error, cancel the exchange of points, as the case may be, and adjust the points accordingly. We will communicate with you to inform you of the situation.
15. CANCELLATION AND MODIFICATION OF THE À LA CARTE PLAN
15.1 We reserve the right to cancel all or part of the À la carte Plan at any time upon 90 days' notice. If you still have points on the termination date, the remaining points will automatically be cancelled.
15.2 We may change the following elements of the À la carte Plan:
- The accumulation, the exchange, the expiry and the cancellation of points as well as related rights;
- The validity period of the points as well as their features and attributes;
- The membership restrictions and conditions of the À la carte Plan;
- The rules about the communication of information related to the À la carte Plan;
- The rules regarding errors in the allocated number of points and the handling of complaints;
- The rules regarding the processing of orders, including the return, replacement and repair of merchandise as well as credits to be granted;
- The products or services offered and all applicable fees;
- The rules regarding À la carte Extras;
- The termination of membership to the À la carte Plan, the replacement of cards, the closure of credit card accounts and their consequences; and
- The provisions related to the modification of all or any of the rules of the À la carte Plan.
15.3 At least 30 days prior to the modification, we will send you a written notice, drafted clearly and legibly, setting out the old and new rules as well as the effective date. The notice may be sent to you by electronic transmission, when applicable. You may refuse these modifications and close your credit card account without cost, penalty or cancellation indemnity by sending us a notice no later than 30 days after the change becomes effective. In particular, you may refuse a change when such change increases your obligations or reduces ours. You will then have 30 days from the closure of your account to exchange your points.
16. OTHER INFORMATION
16.1 We are not liable for rewards or mail (postal or electronic) not delivered, lost or delivered late for reasons beyond our control (e.g. wrong address provided, anti-spam software, anti-virus software, firewall, etc.) and for any inconvenience this may cause you.
16.2 We are not liable for lost gift cards. Under no circumstances will we reimburse a lost gift card.
16.3 Except for À la carte Extras, you acknowledge that we do not provide the rewards. We only facilitate the process of obtaining them in accordance with the terms and conditions of the suppliers of such goods and services. The bank is not liable with respect to the rewards or suppliers' terms and conditions. Any recourse must be directed against the supplier of the reward.
16.4 The bank and its suppliers are not liable for damages resulting from any incident occurring during a trip purchased via the À la carte Travel Agency or during an activity provided under the À la carte Plan.
16.5 Failure on our part to apply any of the applicable rules of the À la carte Plan or to exercise any right shall not be considered as a waiver of the bank's rights.
16.6 These rules shall be governed exclusively by the laws of the province or territory where you reside or of the head office of the business to which the credit card account belongs. If your residence or the business' head office is outside of Canada, the laws of Quebec shall govern these rules. You irrevocably acknowledge the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Canadian province or territory governing the interpretation of these rules.
17. EFFECTIVE DATE
These rules are effective as of June 1st, 2017.
The parties have requested that this document be drawn up in English. Les parties confirment leur volonté que le présent document soit rédigé en anglais.
19. CONTACT INFORMATION
À LA CARTE REWARDS CENTRE
(catalogue, exclusive travel features, exclusive features for Platinum Business cards)
1-800-341-8083 (toll-free) or 514-847-8280
À LA CARTE TRAVEL AGENCY: 1-800-561-3653
MASTERCARD CUSTOMER SERVICE
700 De La Gauchetière West, Suite 1847-4
Montreal, Quebec, H3B 3B5
Personal Services: 1-888-622-2783 (toll-free) or 514-394-1427
Business Services: 1-800-363-3339 (toll-free) or 514-394-1410
FOR À LA CARTE EXTRAS
- RRSP or TFSA investment products - National Bank
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. (EST)
- Annual fees for banking packages
7 days a week, 6 a.m. to midnight (EST)
- RRSP or TFSA contribution - National Bank Direct Brokerage
1-800-363-3511 or 514-866-6755
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Payment towards the principal on a mortgage loan or the principal balance of an All-in-One line of credit
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- RRSP or TFSA investment product - National Bank Financial
Please contact your investment advisor
® Mastercard, World Mastercard and World Elite are Registered Trademarks of Mastercard International Inc. Used under license by National Bank of Canada.
®¹ Allure, Edition and All-in-One are registered trademarks of National Bank of Canada.
© 2017 National Bank of Canada. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without written permission from National Bank of Canada is strictly prohibited.